Monday, June 15, 2009

Whaling City Cyclone

On Saturday, we got our eat on at Emerson's house. Emerson's dad built a huge wood-fired pizza oven in their back yard. So after working up an appetite doing some openers on a ride through scenic Cohasset, MA, we headed back to the Oronte ranch and ate two tons of pizza. Here's chef Bruno hauling one out of the oven. They cook in about 90 seconds! I need one of these ovens.

The next day, Jon Bruno, Kevin Wolfson, John Hanson, Emerson Oronte, Jerome Townsend, and I raced the Whaling City Cyclone, a crit in New London, CT. The race is very technical, with 6 corners, and a big horseshoe bend on a 1-kilometer loop. Bill Humphreys, the promoter, has created one of the most fun criterium courses in New England.

It started fast, and with Kevin representing us in the first breakaway of 3 riders, I chilled and sat on anyone's wheel who was trying to get across the gap, which lasted for the first six or so laps. When the next break went, I rolled with it. What formed was a group of two guys I ride with a lot in Exeter, Ryan Kelly (Noreast) and Dylan Hercules McNicholas (CCB), plus Amos Brumble (CCB) and Ron Larose (CCNS). Unfortunately, Ryan was dropped, and Will Dugan, (another CCB rider, who lately never ceases to amaze me) bridged across to our break.

So with three CCB riders against me, the outlook was grim. But as luck would have it, I won the next four primes, and then the race!

With two laps to go, Will smartly attacked immediately after my uphill, into-the-wind pull. So I chased him down. Then Amos countered, and I chased him down. Then Dylan attacked with what he had left, but I was like glue on him. With what I had left, I led through the final corner, and across the finish line, holding my lead on Dugan by about a quarter wheel.

In a big race of attrition, we had two more riders finish in the pack, Jerome and Kevin, 21st and 33rd places, respectively.

We ate Sbarro on the way home. It was a far cry from the Oronte pizza.

Housatonic hills next weekend. Stay tuned.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]