Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Ian Leitch goes for Course Record: 202 miles under 19hrs?

Hope all is good stateside. May has been a but damp here but riding is proving to be enjoyable as ever.
I thought I would let you know that Friday will see me go for the South Downs Way Double. This is a big thing for me and I have been building nicely for it.
The South Downs Way is a 101 mile trail that runs from historic Winchester through to Eastbourne and it makes up a lot of my local riding. It has been there for literally thousands of years. I have ridden it end to end a few times but now for the big challenge - there and back - 202 miles and 25,000 feet of climbing over beautiful terrain.
In the UK this is a major endurance test and as such there is a website set up to document those who aim to complete it - only four have made it in 24 hours or less. Whenever anyone attempts it, there is major press coverage on the UK bike websites and as such there should be some great coverage for Indy - especially if I am lucky enough to take the record.
I will be riding "alpine style" which means completely self sufficient except for water available from about 5-6 taps on route. My aim is to head out of Winchester at 3am Friday morning. Current record is held by Mike Cotty at 19 hours 52 minutes. Conditions are not perfect I was out with a group of three on Sunday (pics attached) and it was wet .. damn.. hoping it will dry out some this week. However the wind looks favourable. I may make a last minute change to Tuesday next week if conditions change.
Main website for this silly challenge is: http://southdownsdouble.net/ - if you want to know more.
The ride will be covered live (ish) on www.bikemagic.com and bikeradar and singeltrackworld will also probably pick it up.
If you think any of the team will be into this feel free to let them know and they can follow the sufferfest as it unfolds!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]