Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fitchburg !!!!!!

Hanson, he's so hot right now.



FT Sponsor and all around awesome guy, Matt McGinty with Adam and Hanson, watching the Cat 2s in the circuit race.



You boys a a bit bored? Where is Macho Man Randy Savage when you need him?


And now the Cat 2 race. They rocked it of course.

Time Trial

Kristin Fortini said go, I went, 18 minutes later I stopped. Time trials rickity-rock. More excitingly, we had the IF tent set up in the parking lot and more portable chairs than asses to fill them. Plus there were cookies, pretzels, and even Fiordifrutta organic jam (icky) courtesy of Dr. Tom. We were the pride of the Fitchburg civic center parking lot.

Road Race

The cat 2 road race is generally pretty predictable. An early break goes, someone scoops up all the sprint points, and then in the last half of the race a small group bridges tot he break, sticks it, and the winner comes out of that. So I waited, the break went on the first of 8 laps, and before we saw 3 to go I attacked on the rollers before the feed zone climb. I drew out Cheyne Hoag (Sakonet), which was the goal, and we came over the top with a little gap, but got pulled back shortly after. Next lap, as expected, Cheyne attacked again. Except this time he got away, bridged to the break, and I was lazy halfway back in the field. I tried to get to the break for the next couple of laps, and Jerome took some monster pulls to bring the gap down, but we never got there. Cheyne won, 3 of the other 4 guys in the break got caught on the finishing climb up Wah-ah-wachussett, and I finished seventh.

Circuit Race

Next day at the circuit race I was determined to race smarterest. I sagged the climb until the last 6 laps. Bridged to a big split with the race leader in it, everything came back. Then with 3 to go a break of 3 was up the road. I attacked on the hill, one guy followed, and a half lap later it was a break of 5 with around 20 seconds and Jerome faithfully following moves behind. It was a good shot, but as the descent started on the last lap we got caught. I followed Jerome down the hill into the last corner, he set me up perfectly but I lost his wheel and came into it too far back. Got around some people but the podium was already sprinting and I came across fourth (like the date in July!!!), with Tommy, Thomas, and Jerome safely in the field. I was psyched to see afterwards that Matt McGinty of Fitness Together was there to watch the teams antics with his wife and new baby. Later I fed Bruno a rubber chicken during his race. Tommy fed him pizza. It was awesome.

KW

The crit was not really a typical crit, at least as far as the pace goes. The average at the end was only 24 mph which lead to some pretty sketchy times including one that almost derailed IF's hopes of another decent finish. We 2s raced well and very smartly too. We weren't one of the bigger teams so therefore were not looked to to do all that much work. We all sat towards the back of the field for about the first 18 laps. I moved up once just to get the feel for it. Kevin tried for a break to bump himself up into the top 10 but the horsepower wasn't quite there and he and the two other break companions were brought back with two to go. When he came back we decided that it would be best if he swept my wheel in the last lap so that he could block from behind for the sprint. I was in perfect position going into the second to last corner but the guys in front of me decided that it would be fun if they stopped pedaling so there was a swarm about 10
wide trying to fit around a corner that can take maybe two wide at that speed! Recipe for disaster! Which is exactly what ensued. The rider in front me managed to drift both wheels through the corner and into the hay bales, he flipped over them and landed on the side walk but his bike came bouncing back into the course and hit me on the shoulder and caused mayhem behind. I came out of the corner and almost ran into another rider as he was looking over his shoulder to see what happened. I came around most of the riders in front of me and placed forth so not bad for a near miss! Tommy, Tom and Kevin were all behind the crash I think but no one was hurt and bikes are okay (which is the important part!).

jt

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]