Monday, June 9, 2008

Carpenter Technology and the Commerce Triple Crown

Jon, Todd, Adam, Jerome, and myself went into Reading hoping for a good result
in front of some important promoters and several wonderfully friendly Carpenter
employees. The course was an 8-corner, 1.5ish mile course with a gradual uphill
in the first half and a gradual downhill in the second half. Not super technical
if not for the holes, brick cross-walks, and patches of fresh pavement scattered
on the course.

Todd reminded me and Adam to stay patient and make any moves count. We all
followed orders and sat patient for most of the first part of the 25-mile race,
staying close enough to the front to stay safe and avoid any gaps from the many
dropped riders (over half the field DNF'ed). As the race wound down, Todd and I
put ourselves in a few promising moves, including a super-strong one from Todd
in the last 3 laps. Unfortunately the long downhill section of the course and
short nature of the race spelled doom for any breaks, and with 1 lap to go Adam,
Jerome, and I set up for a field sprint.

Team Dynaflo (full of former pro's brought in specially for the Commerce Bank
races) set up a fantastic lead out in the last half lap. With two corners to go
and three Dynaflo guys at the front, I was top 10 and Adam on me. Shortly before
the downhill into the second to last corner, Jason Snow (right in front of me)
moved up a couple of spots. I hesitated, partly figuring that the slightly
uphill sprint would give a chance to move up, partly just being dumb. My
mistake. So I went into the last corner in 10th and that's where I stayed (3rd
u23). Adam finished 13th. Not a bad day, but it could've been better. We
definitely showed ourselves as a strong team, and after the two crits of the
week I was, I believe, top 3 overall u23.

I can also speak for the whole team in thanking Carpenter Technology again for a
fantastic visit Wednesday and post-race BBQ Thursday. We couldn't have felt more
welcome. They gave us a wonderful reception with Carpenter management, some
delicious food, a bit of time to meet bunches of enthusiastic employees thrilled
to see the beautiful IF SSR stainless steel bike, and a fascinating tour of the
breathtaking Carpenter Mill (town?). It really is a cool company, and if the
incredible quality of their products isn't made clear enough by their massive
success, it's plainly obvious in the IF bikes that benefit from Carpenter's
work. We can't wait to be back soon.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]