Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ian Leitch - 2nd for Independent at Mountain Mayhem

I bagged my best ever result with a second at Mountain Mayhem the World's largest 24 hour - I am smiling and consuming lots of beer! oh and plotting the next move!

I can now savour a great result at Mountain Mayhem. The Big one - now officially the world's largest 24 had 500 teams and 150 solos. After not riding much at all in the last month this was an absolute result... I was hoping for 5th! The solo at Mayhem is the one to win and is always stacked with perennial favourites, new kids and dangerous foreigners!.



Set in the beautiful Malvern Hills we headed down Friday night from London armed with a big tent, gazebo and lots of beers for the boys. Pitting were a new crew, brother in-law Matt (amazing chef) and my buddy Dan Finch (amazing party boy and Dad to cool Fred and Oscar!)- both of which know nothing about bikes.. luckily we had help at times from other friends who did know about bikes: Robin, Charlie and Irene.
A late evening ride around the course saw it to be full of long steep climbs and off camber technical descents - it was better than usual.. but the forecast was for rain.

Come morning and I got my strategy dialled with the pit.. two weeks ago I had tested myself by going after young Kona hotshot James Lister in the 12 hours of Bristol - but I had popped on 6 hours. I decided with weather likely to be a factor I would ride my own race, we would take the fight to the big guns on our terms!


So to the line: 700 people all ready to run 1 mile to their bikes - carnage. I was on in about 20th and went out hard for the first 20 minutes. I decided not to be told of my progress and just ride steady and wait until dusk. All was good.. I got dropped by the champion of Denmark who couldn't descend for toffee but could climb like a goat.. but then I dropped new solo contender Rich Rothwell... after we had spent 30 minutes joking through the lap. I held off the gas but maintained good pace with nothing but bottle grabs for the first 7 hours. All the while IF rider people were playing the trumpet at me when I passed and singing for Indy! Children were reaching out for High 5's and the course wound through the superb campsite. The organisers had a 2000 dollar holiday as prize on offer for best set up - there were all sorts of wacky goings on - my favourite the Mexican site where whole families were wearing ponchos and sombreros and shouting in Spanish! Then a 1 minute stop at 10pm and I found I was about 5th 20-25 minutes down on the lead - surrounded by a group including Cannondale's Mike Cotty and Idita nutter James Leavesley.. perfect position. In typical fashion people were taking the fight to Anthony White.. one of the mentally toughest people you can find he can churn out hard laps with no stops for the full 24 time and time again. I knew that some of them would come back to me.

At midnight it was all change. Sheet rain came in, big cloud cover and dangerous riding. Pitted for the wet set up which was all ready to go Laps went from 1 hour to 1 hour 30 as the 1.5 inch tyres were fitted. It was at this point White attacked and I did too, though off his pace I ratcheted it up knowing the chasers would be demoralised and big time could be made.

Each lap a fresh IF ti deluxe - brilliant - was ready to roll as the mud covered ride went off to be tirelessly cleaned. The pit by now were making me amazing real food, spoon feeding me in 2 minute stops. They were drunk as lords but loving it shouting at me and pushing me out tour de france style. Some of their neighbours got a bit concerned at the surround sound public enemy though! Dawn came and my tripping began - mind wandering - I had to focus - I had moved up to third and was in the money. I finally rolled out the ipod and kept pushing. Then at 7am, 17 hours in I wanted out and had a terrible lap, but I refocused and found my mojo again flying through the pits. Turned out I wasn't the only one on the rack and I was up to 2nd.

I maintained pace for the rest of the race and brought second home. I had a lap on third by noon and was able to relax in the pits with a beer and roll in on 2pm in beautiful sunshine. What a moment - me and the winner arms aloft with genuinely thousands of people cheering - we did it!

I said it would be my last 24 as they hurt so much - but I keep getting closer whilst drinking and riding less than 10 hours a week.. it doesn't make sense but who cares!
Got to say thank you first of course to IF for a couple of great rides. They'll be covered in full in Mountain Biking UK next month as theycovered me for the race. Also to the organisers for such a massive festival of biking, good course and nice 1500 buck payout for the suffering .. and of course to the rock and roll pit crew who nailed it with amazing food and support - the only dodgy moment - Dan lubed my disc brakes and I rode out with no stoppers for a lap... yeeahhhaa!
















Happy days
















Ian
.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]