Friday, May 9, 2008

Michaux Maximus, Buck's Tale

We'll, here we are again at the beginning of the racing season (for me at least), wondering what the season will hold in store for us (me). New challenges this year with the new schedule (read stay at home dad). Training has been good thus far, I'm on schedule for the century a month plan. Some good miles with that so far, mostly solo, utilizing my sexy Ti Crown Jewel. The Sunday group thing has been fairly solid. So how does the first race unfold? I'll tell you. I goes like this.

The week before the race is when I like to chill, regroup and do some mild relaxing rides (commutes) and focus on stretching and hydration. Unfortunately duty calls in many forms, massage schedule, bikes to be repaired, diapers to be changed and washed. That's right we wash em' instead of disposing of them. This is part of my Team Green contract. So needless to say (although I've already stated it) my pre-race week was different than I'm used to.

Skipping ahead to the start. Lots of the usual suspects are on hand. Some fresh from their Spanish training mission, others back from their fixed gear hundred mile experiment in TN. Last years main competition for the overall SS is now shifting gears. The course has changed a bit but is mostly the same.

BANG!..... and their off. I have no intent no killing it early and suffering early. I find a mildly uncomfortable pace and settle in. Slowly finding my way through the traffic in the first single track, I see some of the front runners in the distance and feel good about my start. Then Michaux starts to have its way with the field. I see my man Huber with his shiftie bike, blown cassette body, "Sorry Dude". I find a friend with a similar groove, fellow SSer Chad Miller of Baltimore, aboard his rigid IF deluxe. We work together and find our way to the first fire road section after about a dozen of the advertised fifty miles. Riding steady and fairly conservative we roll through the next trail section with little trouble. We then find the next victim of Michaux. Super Star, Spanish Training, Timmy D. He's holding what look like copper wires. Oh, those are his Industry Nine spokes. His fitness was second to none, but the trail could care less about fitness. We press on. We clear the ominous Grave Ridge and begin to move toward Dead Woman's Hollow Road, the first of three serious climbs. I feel a little tight and opt to hoof it a bit. Chad does the same. We spy the next SSer up the trail hoofing as well. At the top we're greeted by a troop of supporting volunteers. PB&J, bananas, h20, beer just what every racer needs. A quick look back and we're joined by the fixed gear mad man Tomi McMillar. We have a quick chat on the road out of the checkpoint and separate as the horizon falls away. Now at the bottom again we begin to move toward the beginning of our next climb. Chad is showing to be the better climber today, I feel technically sound but the legs are staging a protest. He creeps away and out of sight as I switch to cramp survival mode. Mr. Fixie has been climbing like a champ and finds me a while later as we ascend a stream bed, complete with cold running water. Kinda sucks when a man riding 1800's technology is out riding you. I could go on to say how I felt as my tight legs wouldn't let me climb, but I know you've all been there. However, I did enjoy a speedy flowing pace on the following trail sections. If there had only been fun trail to the finish. The bottom line is a 7th place SS finish with 5:15 elapsed,on a course just shy of fifty miles.

On the whole it was an awesome day in the woods. Great trails, perfect weather, good friends, and cold beer, ya know the important stuff. I had my "Little Buddy" on hand for his second bike race as a spectator. I think he likes it (of course he does, bikes are the coolest).

My next event on the schedule is the Tour 'da Burg. I'll keep you all updated on the progress of my new parenting/riding/racing experience. Til then, keep it on the wheels and your feet on the pedals.

Buck

P.S. If you use a pack when you ride/race, check out the ERGON packs. (Full disclosure, I'm a bit of a pack snob) My new ERGON pack is the most comfortable pack yet......and it has a built in whistle!!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]