Monday, May 12, 2008

2008 Coolest 24hr race Cool, Ca. May 2nd-3rd

The Coolest 24hr race is a special event ...Jim Northey the director and event
creator donates all proceeds to cancer research-this year it totaled out near
50,000.Despite being held on the same weekend as the adrenalin race 30mins
from home I loaded my lovely pregnant wife into the rig and drove toward Tahoe
to Cool,Ca. I knew the competition would be heavy in the Solo Singlespeed
division mainly because my main 2 rivals in the state lived there ...Roger
Lackey and the kid..Dezmin Wilder 19yr old studd...I think I'm older then his
father who times each lap from the meticulously laid out pit.
We started well with Roger, Dez and myself taking to
the front with the lead geared rider breaking the wind. The course was fast
and dusty-meaning you had to be right on someone's wheel or 300 yards back so
the dust could move on before you rode thru it.We all came thru within 30
seconds of one another in sub hour laps with dust covered bodies and faces. It
was during my first couple of laps that I felt topped out on my 32x18 -I was
being thrown around and bumped from my smp saddle,the legs were feeling great
but I was all over the gear; on all the climbs I would cruise thru the geared
and team riders only to be brought back on the flatter sections- there was no
power stroke for me and that is my style - I'd prefer to be a bit behind the gear.
Despite using the new ERgon grips (which have completely changed my riding and
downhill speed they are for me-sooo comfy)-props for bringing them on
board...if you have not tried them ..DO...then you might even take that heavy
suspension fork off and ride the IF no travel-the most responsive fork on the
market..oops sorry;by the days end I was steering through the rocks and rivers
with my mind and a quick flick of the wrist...this course was super fast and I
was seeing 61k on my cateye just before this big left turn into a fast sniper
laiden turny section with many flat rocks curiously placed. By lap 6 My back
and shoulders began to scream as I was thrown about the course dodging the
sniper rocks hidden under the dutsy singletrack.
....I debated a wheel switch to grab a 17 on the rear but
decided to leave it alone for fear of overcooking it too early. I set out with
a relaxed and consistent pace about an 1hr 10mins each lap- but the heat and
sugar soon paid it's toll.The lap times were consistent until I fell ill in
the gut and began loosing all nutrition while trying to remain riding -puking
and pedaling has become an art for me. Once I was purged I thought I could
step it up so I tried to pick up the pace but had no calories in me ...so I
had to hop off and begin refueling...I took a 1/2hr to refuel which brought me
over the 2hr mark on one lap!!-never a good thing when you are trying to stay
on the lead lap- I fell to like 13th place...but I kept telling myself I'd get
them later into the night...my night laps hurt less as the pace slowed to
match my gearing -also not a good thing but I felt a lot more comfortable and
was only puking when I tried sports food...So I began inhaling water and
stayed with water for 16hrs not an once of anything else would remain in my
stomach....I stayed calm hoping others would be having the same or similar
issues-not that I wish ill will but these things tend to happen to a couple of
competitive riders each race. Roger was the first to go ...I had heard from
Dez as we climbed together that Roger was getting sick ...but I had my hands
full with 2 other riders that were see sawing with me...3rd thru 8th were all
within 15 minutes.
My legs never waivered....but the stomach ruined my day as I spent a
good portion of the climbs loosing whatever food was left...I had to save what
was left for some fast morning laps....I never really had any doubts of
finishing which is odd but the doubts of being competitive were reeking havoc
on me....I wanted a good showing and to place higher then the 3rd place I got
last year because I had tremendous support this year from the Domer and his
wife Weston not to mention my wife(Tina) who actually was up massaging me at
4am while her friend Lindsey doctored a grilled cheese ..my morning laps
were tremendous and back well under 1.5 hours but I had given 2 guys way too
much room ahead of me and 3 guys around me hope. Dez rode away with the race
and probably the overall on his 34x19 gearing- a gear I had played a lot with
leading into the event...me I was left to fight for 3rd thru 8th and finished
my last lap in 1hr 9mins- a pissed 4th
After looking at my times it is apparent the stop at night
to massage my neck ,shoulders and back (albeit necessary) cost me deeply-what
else is new - but with the others not pitting- those differences provided them
with gaps. I also could not find the love that I found at Old Pueblo earlier
in the year...I could not find the right song to sing and my stomach really
prevented me from having too much fun-which is critical for me to win one of
these solo events- 195 miles 16 laps

for now I have to wallow painfully over this one until the saddle sores
and callouses subside and my time comes again.

Labels:


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]