Friday, April 25, 2008

A win for Ian Leitch at The Nightrider 12

I got the win for IF at the UK's big 12 hour Night Enduro at the weekend just gone on my lovely new Ti deluxe (thank you IF for the bike!)

The Nightrider 12 is one of three British Mountain Biking 12 hour events. Set in Robin Hood Country Nottinghamshire the course was a haven of singletrack. In typical fashion disorganization reigned with me driving 250 miles and getting to the course at 5pm. A quick set up of the tented pit with my pitman John and then to the line. The field was strong with Hungarian Kona Rider Szabolcs Bandli and former Idita winner Steve Heading (Whyte-Marin) all bristling for the win. The race kicked off at 8pm and was due to run overnight until 8am... nice!

The race kicked off at breakneck speed as ever and I decided to hammer the first ten minutes to avoid singletrack snarls. Training this year started way late but has been better than previous years with Big miles. Mid lap the 4 lead solo riders were toe to toe and I was happily in the mix. Steve Heading then attacked and then I followed.. by lap two we were a twosome. Heart rate was almost redlining and I thought I was riding above my level but I was still chirpy and then.. I put a nail in my tyre. Damn. I dropped 5 minutes and then worked my way back up to the lead by hour 3. I came up behind Heading and attacked immediately and felt great through the cold of the night consistently building the cushion. By dawn I had over 20 minutes and was absolutely loving the trail.

So a win in 11 hours 29minutes and 143miles of night racing complete. What a way to start the season... plus a good payday and a new lights sponsor as a result.
The new IF was superb as were the revelation tyre choice - The Small Block 8. Now a build to Mountain Mayhem, Europe's biggest 24, I reckon there's an outside chance of the win. Cheers to IF!

Ian

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]