Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Builth Wells - Welsh Marathon - 10th Place for the IF Englishman

The Merida 100km series takes place across Britain throughout the year and time and time again they serve up some of the most classic mountain racing one could ask for. Builth Wells is one of the key events and 2 weeks after my disappointing 24 and one week before the next, the trip was made to mid Wales and old rivalries renewed. Britain has had a lousy summer with endless rain, yet despite this and the fact the race clashed with the Tour de France in London, around 1000 riders lined up to take on 62 miles with 9,000 feet of climbing.

A nice easy lead out sees you wind through the town cheered on by the locals and then as you head up a 30 minute climb the lead car winds up the pace, at this point you have eager racers swarming for position. I hadn't come into the race with expectation and was just chuffed to be out in the mountains. Over the top of the first climb I found myself right in the mix, Nick Craig the UK Marathon Champion and the other Scott International Full time pros leading out as ever with me redlining the heart rate in the 190's. Then a slip in the mud caused me to lose touch with the lead group and I worked my way into a nice rhythm. The course's downhills were savage affairs, rock strewn and carved in places just for the event, I had opted for a set of 1.8 tyres which were somewhat out of their depth. Through rivers, down rock slabs and across desolate moor, I spent the whole race alone in no man's land, now and again catching s0meone who had gone off too quick. I never felt sharp but I did feel strong and the final section was just sensational, sything through racers from the 50km course I was locked in battle for 10th. It ended up side by side at 30mph on a Rock strewn descent with a river down the middle before I buried myself up a final climb and dodging town centre traffic to edge it. I came in on 4hour 46 minutes and as I was being driven home by the mighty Will Jones got to drink local ales on completion and enjoy a hazy head.

Simply have not had a smile like that from a race in some time.. a single 100km loop in fantastic terrain ... next race in the series is the legendary Selkirk round in Scotland, the UK's most technical marathon..... and to get me in the mood the Bontrager 24 hour solo, a course where they've decided to build an entire mogul field at the end of each lap.. big air after 1 hour likely, 6 hours: possible, 24 hours: I dont think so.

Ian

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]