Friday, June 15, 2007

This Bloke is English

South Downs Way - Britain Longest Trail - 106 miles, 10,000 feet + climbing in 8 hours 39.

England has had a baking spring.. the hottest April since records begun have seen bone dry trails and full riding agendas. Yet May got us all back - it rained like crazy and for me long rides took a backseat as I succumbed to the weather. Come June and I suddenly realised I had not ridden over 4 hours in a month and I was just a moment away from the first and biggest 24 of the year. I decided to set myself a nice challenge.

The South Downs Way is a classic long distance trail all along the South of England coast, at 106 miles the trail website says that "the very fit, experienced off road cyclist could attempt the trail in two days," perfect opportunity to pop it off in one then! From the statue of King Alfred in Winchester the off-road trail goes up and down relentlessly, through villages with English Tea shops, pubs and gardens and onto great plateaus with vistas down to the sea. The weather was beautiful as I set off solo at around 9.30. It was Sunday morning and Winchester's superb cathedral could be seen as I climbed above the city, its bells chiming. Then the business of the day began, turning legs and navigation. The first part of the trail is really isolated and beautiful and I took it steady. After almost two hours I hit Queen Elizabeth Country Park and the trail headed straight through a massive fair before winding up again into the woods. the sun was beating down now and the legs turning away, I was making good time and feeling good. By 5 hours I was riding past Brighton, my home town, I had that sticky energy drink mouth and headache coming on. It was time to turn on some music and reel it into the finish. The climbs seemed ever steeper and I decided to put the hammer down and put in a good time. Through fields of sheep near Alfriston and over to Jevington I finally saw Eastbourne below. A classic piece of English Seaside, elation and a sense of achievement set in. It was along the front to the pier and time to stop the clock. I felt pretty good and notched up a pretty good 8 hours 39 minutes. Now since the ride I have been looking into the records for both ways. The 212 miles record is held by Cannondale UK rider Mike Cotty at 22 hours 25 minutes, with an attempt to break it coming later this month to lower it further. Looking at that I think a sub 20 with support along the way could be had.. maybe next year. needless to say the Ti Deluxe was mint!

Ian

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]