Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Super-D winning, Altitude Training


Harlan here in the oxygen starved world of high altitude Breckenridge, Colorado. After the Lumberjack 100 in MI I carpooled to Breck to get ready for the Firecracker 50, which happens to be the 2007 marathon national championship. Coming from sea-level to 9800ft to train and try to recover from a 100miler has proven to be pretty annoying. After a week and a half, of shallow breathing I finally started to feel a bit right, only yesterday.
In order to get a taste of the possible competition and to see a legendary part of CO I went to Crested Butte this past weekend to race the Wildflower Rush XC event. Elevation was about on par with the Breck and after the first 15 min climb I realized my lungs and legs weren't quite ready. So instead of DNF'ing I decided to pleasure pace the climbs and have fun in the Alpine Single-track. The warp-spead switchback decending was incredibly fun, and because the trails were cupped ruts they were a bit hairy. I finished that 3rd from last. Ouch!
SUPER-D redemption!! I always wanted to do super-d's but it hasn't worked out the past two years, since I only had a hard-tail and not many opportunities. But at the Butte I decided to give it a go on the 29er but out of trepidation signed up for the 30+ class. Maybe it was sandbagging but how would I know till I did one. After a lemans start that had me running into the backs of baggy pants dudes I got to my bike third in line and began the fire road descent.
The 29er Deluxe seemed to live for the faux tabletops and narrow single-track. I passed the #2 guy about three min in and then pulled up behind #1 a couple of mins later. He was going just fast enough that when I'd try to go around he could dig a little deeper to keep me at bay. I knew there was one last spot to take him, but it involved a 100ft stretch of a deep grassy and wet line. It had to be one of my favorite passes of all time. Final time?: 11min 22sec.
That gave me 1st in the 30+ but even more surprising was the fact that that would have been good enough for 2nd over-all, just 11 seconds behind Mike West. Top Speed? My computer said 37.3 mph. Next time I'll move it on up.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]